Saturday, December 21, 2013

You know what time it's getting to be...

Starting off, here are three Christmas Eve tunes.
  1. Leadbelly - Christmas Is A-Coming
  2. Stan Freberg - The Night Before Christmas
  3. The Beatles - Third Christmas Record



And here we have 74 minutes of Christmas Day soundwaves. With a few exceptions, I've tried to avoid songs that have absorbed any hint of overplayed-Muzak stench.

On the one hand, this means that there's no appearance of Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" (which I still haven't come to hate), but on the other hand, you won't hear Yoko honking her way through "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)".
  1. El Vez - Brown Christmas
  2. Juan García Esquivel - Sun Valley Ski Run
    I came to associate this song with the Cool Cool Mountain level in Super Mario 64. (And I also associate this song with this GoldenEye 007 level... but I guess that's neither here nor there.)
  3. The Sisterhood - Christmas Treat, Peppermint
    Pretty versatile items, those peppermint candies.
  4. Kimi and Ritz - Merry Christmas Baby
    Featuring a pre-Rocky Horror Richard O'Brien.
  5. Elvis PresleyBlue Christmas
    Couldn't help it.
  6. Bathing Beauty - Christmas Tears
    This is just absolutely devastating. It comes to us via WFMU.
  7. Freddie King - Christmas Tears
    Not the same teardrops.
  8. Rosalie Sorrels - Party Crasher's Carol
    Enough with the maudlin lacrymosity, already!
  9. Komeda - Top Star
    In the late 90's, there was a fantastic FTP site called Gameraweb, which turned me on to so many amazing musicians. You have no idea how good it was. Gameraweb vanished one day and I never found out what happened to it, but I never forgot it. This next song was one of the first Gameraweb downloads I snagged, and it's the first Komeda song I heard. Instant love. Thanks, Gameraweb, wherever you've gone.
  10. The Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)
  11. Sifl and Olly - Laser Eyes
    Er, well, they mention Christmas lights... Apropos of nothing, I'm convinced I knew the real-life Chester.
  12. RUN-DMC - Christmas In Hollis
  13. National Lampoon - Kung Fu Christmas
    Features the talents of Christopher Guest, Brian Doyle Murray, and pre-SNL Bill Murray and Gilda Radner.
  14. James Brown - Let's Make This Christmas Mean Something This Year
  15. Solomon Burke - Presents For Christmas
  16. Louis Armstrong - Christmas Night In Harlem
  17. Gene Autry - When Santa Claus Gets Your Letter
  18. James Brown - Santa Claus Go Straight To The GhettoYet another charming track from the hardest working defendant in show business
  19. The Sonics - Santa Claus
  20. Toni Stante - ¿Mamacita, Dónde Está Santa Claus?
  21. El Vez - Pancho Claus
    Musically speaking, this is a pretty straight-ahead cover of Lalo Guerrero's 1956's tune, but it's got a wilder, post-punk spirit than the original.
  22. Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper - Son of Santa


No comments:

Post a Comment

I will mercilessly trash any comments I deem unworthy. So if you're going to be offensive, you damn sure better be funny.

I may feed the trolls if they make it worth my while to do so. Here's a hint: I don't like typos. Run with it!